1) You receive emails every day. Some with email signatures, some without. It's the ones with email signatures that count for Evercontact.
2) Our servers find the following information and separate it for analysis:
a) the header (to/from/subject which helps us determine the sender and associate them with the email signature and also helps us verify that this is a “pertinent” contact for you – someone that you’ve exchanged with)
b) the body (almost all of which is instantly discarded by our servers, as it has no value in updating your address book).
c) the email signature (and it’s not as easy to find this among all the “noise” that an email can have. Sometimes the email signature directly follows the body of the email, sometimes it’s at the very bottom. Sometimes it’s within forwarded emails, etc.)
3) Evercontact then analyzes the information within the email signature and accurately extracts this information:
4) The system then compares the detected info with the current information in address books or CRM for only real personal contacts. Finally it updates/auto-enriches any information it can. This is where the real challenge comes into play, and we’ve had to make strategic decisions to best serve you & our other clients:
1) Do we ever delete information that’s already in an address book? We’ve chosen NOT to do so. Instead, new information is added with a time stamp attached to it. Ex: If you’ve already put in a mobile phone number for a contact and we find a different mobile number in that contact's email signature, we will not replace the first phone number. Instead, we will add the new one.
2) Sometimes, we will modify information that is already there, especially for phone numbers and postal addresses. Specifically, we “internationalize” this data so that if someone adds their phone number and we know that it’s a number from the USA, we’ll add a +1 to that phone number. If we recognize that the contact is in France, we’ll add a +33 to their number.
NOTE: This is a preference that our users can change so that numbers are or are not internationalized. We do the same for postal addresses, as well.
5) The system repeats the exact same process every 24 hours, checking each incoming signature (even ones it's seen before) to make sure your address book / CRM is 100% up to date.